Pre-IGCSE English Language
A gentle introduction to the IGCSE course for students who need a bit more practice with ‘brushing up on the basics’ before embarking on the exam level course.
Course Fees From £140
What is the course about and who’s it for?
The pre-IGCSE English Language course has been created for students aged between 11 and 13 (so approaching the age when they would be thinking about starting my IGCSE English Language course) but who feel they need a bit more preparation and 'brushing up of the basics' before embarking on the IGCSE English Language course. It combines the essential elements of Word Weavers and Essay Writing, and gently orientates students towards the reading and writing tasks that they will eventually undertake on the IGCSE English Language course.
As with my other courses, the pre-IGCSE English Language course doesn’t presuppose any prior knowledge (other than an ability to read and write). It covers fundamental English skills in an age-appropriate way (including sentences, paragraphs and punctuation) while introducing the different genres and styles of writing that will be encountered in the IGCSE English Language course, including essays. Learning to 'read for meaning' (a core IGCSE level skill) is also taught.
What does the course consist of?
The course is colourful and user-friendly with lots of helpful exercises, together with 10 tutor-marked assignments for which full feedback is provided. There is unlimited (within reason!) phone and email support. One useful aspect of this course is that it can help to acclimatise both parent and child to studying alongside a distance-learning tutor. It is also helpful for students who don't yet want the full commitment of an exam-oriented course but want to improve and/or maintain their skills. Students who perhaps lack the maturity to begin the full IGCSE course will also benefit from the pre-IGCSE English Language course.
As with most of my courses it is available as an e-book with downloadable files or as a printed book.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does the course take?
- It varies. Most students take around 8 months but you can do it more quickly and take longer if you wish (there is no time limit on any of my courses).
What pace should I go at?
- It’s important to go at your own pace – you shouldn’t feel you are rushing the course, but nor should it be gathering dust on the shelf. You should be feeling comfortably challenged but enjoying yourself (for the most part!).
What if I get stuck?
- Pick up the phone or email me - I am here to help! If you have a block about a particular assignment it is usually better to move on with the course and come back to it later.
Can I type my assignments?
- Unless you are likely to get dispensation to type in an eventual exam (so you have dyslexia or some other special requirement), I prefer assignments to be handwritten. We can all type more quickly than we can write so typing assignments gives an unrealistic expectation of what you will eventually produce in the exam. I know the Pre-IGCSE course isn’t an exam course, but handwriting is a motor skill so it’s important to practise at every opportunity you get! There are exceptions, though, so get in touch with me if you are unsure.
What about special educational requirements?
- The best thing to do is pick up the phone and talk to me and tell me what you need. Over the years I have helped students with a range of special requirements resulting from dyslexia, Aspergers and other physical or mental conditions that get in the way of their ability to do justice to themselves in English. I can’t promise that I’ll be able to help, but if I can help, I will.
I'm happy to talk over the phone, you can call me on 01952 605865 or email at email@example.com